Ph.D. Research Grant Announcement 2021/22
— Call for Applications —
The Orient-Institut Istanbul is pleased to invite applications for Ph.D. research grants for 2021/22. The purpose of the grant is to provide support for field research in Istanbul/Turkey to Ph.D. candidates not living in Turkey. Due to the continuing pandemic situation, the fellowship period need not be spent entirely in Istanbul. If the fellowship is not spent in Istanbul, a close connection to the institute is required to ensure that the research project can be meaningfully worked on. By arrangement, this can be achieved through supervision by members of the Institute’s Scientific Advisory Board or other scholars associated with the institute.
Grants are available to support research in one of the institute’s research areas (https://www.oiist.org/en/forschungsprofil/) including the following research fields:
- Musicological research on the Ottoman Empire and Turkey
- Narrative sources on Istanbul and the Ottoman Empire
- Historic and contemporary forms of religious expression in Anatolia since the 11th century
- Linguistic Turkology
- Human, medicine, and society
The research grant consists of a monthly stipend of € 1,100 for the duration of usually ten months. Travel expenses to and from Turkey will be reimbursed. Start of the scholarship should be at the earliest October 15, 2021 and at latest July 1, 2022.
Prospective applicants are expected to hold an M.A. degree in a related academic discipline. A complete application must normally specify the necessity of conducting research in Istanbul or elsewhere in Turkey and include a detailed time frame for the envisioned research. A good command of Turkish or other source languages necessary for the proposed project is expected. As the Orient-Institut Istanbul aims at creating an open and supportive academic environment, stipend holders are expected to attend colloquia and conferences organized by the institute and to give a public presentation of their research. Research stays outside Istanbul must be cleared with the institute’s director.
Dr. Richard Wittmann
Acting Director of the Orient-Institut Istanbul
must be submitted via our online application portal by September 20, 2021.
For the reference letter, please share this link https://www.oiist.org/en/referenzschreiben/ with the academic supervisor you have asked for a reference letter to upload the reference letter there.
Complete applications must include the following:
- Cover letter with indication of the desired period of the fellowship
- Outline of the Ph.D./ research project
- Explanatory statement and research schedule for the stay in Istanbul/Turkey
- Letter of recommendation written by an academic supervisor to be uploaded by him or her
- Copy of M.A. diploma
- Documentation of proficiency in Turkish or another relevant source language